Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Bona Fide Pop

Description: C:\Users\Ronald Andal\Desktop\Cur Dev\IMG20171201140158.jpg
by Sarah Mae Suelto


     Let me start this writing through a passage from J. Adams “There are two educations. One should teach us how to make a living and the other how to live”. This refers that education is not just only for preparation in life but rather education is life itself. I wouldn’t realize it without the presence of my beloved teachers – heroes, great inspirations, and sources of courage.
Reminiscing my high school days, surprisingly I’ve met various versatile and awesome teachers. Each of them had took a part into my life and had contributed different sort of motivations and approaches that made the better version of me. But among them, I have one that happens and considers as my best and favorite teacher. He used to be my adviser when I was in 4th Year- (NARRA). It was my very first time to experience having a 3N1 “TATAY/KUYA/TROPA” inside the four corners of the room. I’m thankful that he came into the picture, and for that I really admire him in his ways. It made me to consider that as the plot twist of my entire high school life.


     He is well known and most respected MAPEH and Mathematics teacher of my dearest alma mater Cristobal S. Conducto MNHS currently (Cristobal S. Conducto Memorial Integrated National High School). Though during our times, he used to be our MAPEH and Values teacher. Furthermore, when I was a 3rd year student I decided to be a CAT Volunteer and he happened to be the Commander/ Adviser and Lead Scout of the said organization. He was not just a teacher but he was also a great leader that shaped our personality especially in terms of courage, discipline, determination, and leadership in life.  We appreciated such military principles but among those, this one “The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in war” is something unforgettable for me. Through that I had reflected that, in life everything is hypothetical until the battle begins, so anticipate the unexpected. In addition to that, I had came to the point that I’m about to give up on our last and final training but he commanded me to yell out our military motto “I NEVER EVER QUIT SIR”- it reminded me to keep going and to realize that I should still risk/fight for what I’ve wanted to be for I’ve been invested a lot since then.  And so, it was my honor and my privilege to become a part and most especially an officer of CAT family.

                                                             
                                                 
June 2, 2014 (Monday) - our first meeting with him, we experienced mixed emotions: excitement, nervousness, tense, happiness and such. At first impression you would think that he was a terror and too strict teacher, but as time goes by these assumptions fades away. As an adviser, he is too concern in classroom management before he proceeded to his formal discussion he let us know and understand what are the rules and policies inside his class. It was just like an agreement between him and us- his students. We didn’t notice that upon the implementation of his policies it develops our discipline and personality as well. He believes that in order to achieve effective learning, a conducive place and functional teaching aids and instruments should be established for the students. That’s why he let us experienced outdoor activities and applications, different team-based activities that will surely be enjoyed by us. He also let us to design and maintain the cleanliness of our classroom, I remembered he suggested having a big letter cutting of “STRIVE AND DARE” that will be posted on the wall and will clearly be seen by everyone. In terms of wrong doings and practices, he believed that “It is better not to punish a guilty person than to punish a guilty one.” This teacher gives us plenty of activities and projects to experience and to deal with, and for us we usually claimed we can’t accomplish it, and it was too impossible to happen. But with the help of his great expectations, WE DID IT and we have proved to ourselves that WE CAN. As Aristotle once said that the roots of education are bitter but the fruit is sweet. I really tasted it when I was in 4th year, because we have done a lot - beyond on our expectations and receiving a diploma really paves way all the hardships, efforts, and sleepless night we’ve been experienced. His insistence for the right things to be done has directed our paths and shaped our lives. is words of encouragement always mollycoddle us to wake up in the midst of midnight full of enthusiasm and ready to go to school in the next morning. It motivated and lifted us from all the struggles and trials we’re about to face. Those embarrassing situations just turned into humors and it made us feel relaxed. In terms of our victory he rejoices with us to the fullest extent. As I have been graduated in Secondary Level I kept and brought a wonderful lesson portrays in the quotation of C.S. Lewis “Hardships often prepare ORDINARY PEOPLE for an EXTRAORDINARY DESTINY.”


     Visiting him once again and observing the way he teach made me to cherish my past experiences under his supervision. It is likely related before. He is still executing and initiating his strategies in teaching that will surely lessen the monotony inside his class. Having some short talks with him and then I get impressed about his story. He emphasized that curriculum planning and designing is just for formality, in the actual teaching lot of adjustments will arise due of inapplicability for other students. Truly considerations and aspirations of teachers are highly needed. He added that it seems like idealistic vs realistic set up.  Same as before, with regards to his teaching method he uses inductive and deductive method depending on the ease of specific lesson. He was not after with visuals aids but rather for Mathematics subject he's more on chalk and board and manipulatives; on the other hand for MAPEH subject he's more on actual demonstration of students to a certain task for he believed that learning by doing is effective and will improve retention. And for students' motivation or for students to be engaged in the learning process, he implements pointing system and rewards for every effort in each task. For him, the new approaches and strategies suggested by the K-to-12 Program is not that new in his teaching style. Because as I said earlier since then- year 2003 to be specific, he was already using the collaborative approach, learning resource materials, manipulatives, applications in real life situations and such techniques and strategies that showcased Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS). Furthermore he has principles in assessing or evaluating students- that is strictly following the grading system “what you give, is what you get”; and must identify the strengths and weaknesses of the students as an indicator of meaningful learning.
All I can say, those times being with him are priceless and really worth to cherish. He’s truly a great and noble teacher that teaches minds, touches hearts, and builds characters. I can see his passion in the field of teaching; aside from profession, it was also his vocation. This teacher is not after with the teachings of the books, but rather he’s after with the lessons beyond what had been printed on the books. Even though he doesn’t have or possesses the super power and extraordinary ability to fly but his messages, lectures, teachings and even his sermons could travel miles away and could even touch the sky and beyond; changing and improving one’s life in a particular place. Words are not enough to express how much grateful I am to this teacher who exemplifies those characteristics - to you my BONA FIDE POP no other than Sir. Teodolfo C. Escueta Jr.  aka “SIR. TEODY” , it is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us Father and Daughter.
 I SALUTE AND OWE YOU SIR!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are a student who believes that your teacher inspires you the most to become who you are today. And you want to thank your teacher b...